Lemon Yogurt Muffins with Poppy Seeds
Yield 1 dozen muffins
4 tbsp pure honey
4 tbsp organic canola oil
1 cup organic nonfat plain or vanilla yogurt
1 organic brown egg
1/2 cup fresh squeezed organic lemon juice
1 tsp freshly grated organic lemon rind
1 cup organic unbleached white flour
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
a few dashes of organic nutmeg
1.5 tsp organic baking soda
1/4 tsp organic sea salt
1 tbsp organic poppy seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat melt the butter and honey together. Set aside.
3. Beat together the yogurt, egg, lemon juice, and lemon rind. Add melted butter and honey. Beat well until thoroughly mixed.
4. Sift together the dry ingredients (excluding the poppy seeds). Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Stir briefly, using the least amount of strokes to just combine the batter. Add the poppy seeds and stir minimally.
5. Grease a muffin tin-I use Trader Joe's Canola Oil Baking Spray. Fill the cups 2/3 full with batter. (These muffins rise a lot!) Bake approximately 20 minutes.