Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Lemon Yogurt Muffins with Poppy Seeds

This morning I tried a new muffin recipe from The Moosewood Cookbook: Lemon Yogurt Muffins. I made several adjustments. First, the temperature of 375 was too high and 25 minutes cooking time was too long. The first batch of muffins were overcooked and really browned. I also added poppy seeds, because I love them in lemon baking. I was seeking a stronger lemon flavor so I increased the lemon juice and rind. And I switched the butter to canola oil and reduced the honey. The recipe was unspecific calling for "1 cup yogurt." I used Annie's brand organic nonfat vanilla yogurt. I use Annie's because it's local-produced at Springfield Dairy in Eugene Oregon. Also, this yogurt is sweetened with natural agave sweetener as opposed to most conventional and even natural yogurts that are loaded with refined sugars. With some adjusting I came up with a muffin that is fluffy lemony not too sweet and satisfying. Check it out...

Lemon Yogurt Muffins with Poppy Seeds
Yield 1 dozen muffins
4 tbsp pure honey
4 tbsp organic canola oil
1 cup organic nonfat plain or vanilla yogurt
1 organic brown egg
1/2 cup fresh squeezed organic lemon juice
1 tsp freshly grated organic lemon rind
1 cup organic unbleached white flour
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
a few dashes of organic nutmeg
1.5 tsp organic baking soda
1/4 tsp organic sea salt
1 tbsp organic poppy seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat melt the butter and honey together. Set aside.
3. Beat together the yogurt, egg, lemon juice, and lemon rind. Add melted butter and honey. Beat well until thoroughly mixed.
4. Sift together the dry ingredients (excluding the poppy seeds). Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Stir briefly, using the least amount of strokes to just combine the batter. Add the poppy seeds and stir minimally.
5. Grease a muffin tin-I use Trader Joe's Canola Oil Baking Spray. Fill the cups 2/3 full with batter. (These muffins rise a lot!) Bake approximately 20 minutes.

No comments: