Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Friday, January 29, 2010

This Week's Installment of The Art of Bargain Shopping & Health Eating

It's another week and another trip to WinCo for this week's installment of the art of bargain shopping and healthy eating on a budget! This week's total was $39.53 and for this I got:

1 bunch bananas
7 kiwi
1 head green cabbage
1 bunch spinach
1 bunch green onions
2 bunches of celery
2lb bag of carrots
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch kale
1 bunch of beets
3 jewel yams
2 onions
1lb quinoa
.73lbs dry black beans (about 2 cups)
1 bag frozen berries
2 boxes unsweetened soymilk
orange juice
2 packages of tofu
1 jar all natural peanut butter
4 odwalla snack bars
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1 package saffron rice mix
5 green tea bags

From these ingredients I made these meals:

Fruit Smoothies
Steel Cut Oatmeal with Fruit & Nuts
Black Bean Soup with Kale Ribbons & Quinoa
Curry Roasted Yams
Tofu with Peanut Sauce over Brown Rice
Spinach & Beet Salad
Asian Cabbage Slaw
Saffron Rice with Beans

Snacks: odwalla bars plus I had leftover from last week: apples, tangerines, and dried apricots

Not too shabby for a week's worth of healthy meals & snacks for under $40!!! Since I started this weekly feature 3 weeks ago it's been great food for thought for me about how to really stretch my dollar on my super tight budget. And I hope you've found some inspiration as well. Sending you lots of love & light.

In Health,
Miss Jolie Ann

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Jolie, this is REALLY impressive! It makes me think about the learning garden and cooking programs at Oregon Food Bank, as well as the classes offered at Growing Gardens and Snow Cap Charities....I wonder if they're doing anything specific like this with their clients?

In any case, it has given me much to ponder, and it sure shoots a hole in the theory that you can't eat healthy for cheap. Thanks!

Jolie Ann Donohue said...

Thanks Peggy! I thought it would be really challenging to continue eating healthy & delicious when I cut my food budget in half. But, it's actually working out pretty smoothly.

And, yes I also wonder about what kind of cooking on a budget education non-profits offer. Because as I am demonstrating it is possible to be seasonal vegetarian whole foods.

Thanks again for your support! Jolie