Miss Jolie Ann
Basic Tofu Tomato Sauce for Pasta
About 4 servings
1 small organic yellow onion, chopped
6 cloves organic garlic, minced
Organic extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound organic firm tofu (I use half of the standard 1 lb container)
1/2 cup organic grated Parmesan-Romano cheese
1 tbsp each: organic dried basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
28oz can organic tomato sauce (I like Muir Glen brand)
Optional add-in's: black olives, kalamata olives, feta cheese, sauteed seasonal veggies such as mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, etc...Use your imagination.
1. Add olive oil to a large skillet and warm over medium heat. Add onion and saute 10 minutes until onion is soft.
2. Add the garlic and saute another 5 minutes.
3. While the onion and garlic are sauteing prepare the tofu mixture. Place drained tofu in a large bowl. Add the cheese, dried herbs, salt & pepper. Mash with a fork until the tofu is crumbly and the seasonings are well-mixed.
4. Add the tofu to the pan with onion and garlic. Continue to cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
5. Now add the tomato sauce to the pan, cover, and simmer on medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes. This sauce can also simmer over low heat for up to an hour while you cook your pasta, clean up, etc.
6. At the end of the cooking time you may stir in the optional add-in items of your choice.
7. Serve sauce hot over your favorite pasta and top with additional Parmesan cheese.