Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Burrito in a Bowl with Winter Squash & Broccoli

Burrito in a Bowl is another fun, tasty, easy twist on the "Big Bowl" recipe idea. I make Burrito in a Bowl when I have leftover ingredients to use up or when I just don't feel like elaborate cooking. It's simple to whip up if I get home late from work and am hungry and tired. Having cooked brown rice is handy! The basic ingredients of burrito in a bowl are rice, beans and cheese. I enjoy vegetarian refried beans, but you could also substitute cooked black or pinto beans. The other ingredients are all up to you. I like to include avocado, sour cream, salsa, steamed or sauteed veggies, roasted yams, corn, olives...Use your imagination. One of my favorite local eateries Laughing Planet whips up a Cuban Bowl with plantains, yams and blacks beans--yummy!

This week my burrito in a bowl recipe includes some steamed broccoli, leftover baked winter squash, fresh cilantro & scallions from my garden, and avocados sent from a friend in Southern California. A note on winter burrito in a bowl...Salsa: since tomatoes are not in season and therefore no fresh salsa...during the winter I use canned salsa that I find in the Hispanic food isle of my market.

In Health,
Miss Jolie Ann

Burrito In A Bowl with Winter Squash & Broccoli
First, is this meal for you or more?
Second, get the appropriate sized "big bowl"
Third, ingredients...(these measurements are purely approximate)
1/2 cup cooked organic short-grain brown rice
1/2 cup vegetarian refried beans
1/2 cup shredded organic cheddar cheese
1/2 cup salsa
I throw all that in my bowl and microwave it until until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Then I add to the bowl:
1/2 cup cubed cooked winter squash (butternut, delicata, acorn...)
some steamed broccoli spears
I top it off with:
a ripe avocado, sliced or diced
a spoonful of organic lowfat sour cream
a handful of chopped cilantro and scallions, fresh from my garden
Mix it all up or leave it orderly--either way eat while warm. Mmmmmmm... Yeah, any way you mix it, burrito in a bowl rules!

No comments: