Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy First Day of Spring!

In honor of the Spring Equinox I potted up several early spring flowering containers. It's a great time for cool hardy bedding annuals like pansies and violets. (You can also get primroses this time of year-but yuck! Personally, I am not a fan of primroses-I think they are ugly wrinkled up little flowers) At this time of year you can also get a wide variety of potted spring flower bulbs like daffodils, tulips and hyacinth. I even added some white allysum to my containers which has done just fine on my covered front porch. Suddenly my front porch and entry stairs are filled with color which is so refreshing after winter! I also keep a small potted hyacinth on my kitchen windowsill to enjoy it's very fragrant blossoms.


My favorite container creation: This week I planted a container for my front porch that I am really enjoying. I used a dark green 18 inch bowl container and filled it with...
1 Black Delight Viola
1 Black Monda Grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' )
2 Dark Dancer (Trifolium repensoxalis )

4 Purple Tulips (I bought them potted and separated the bulbs for transplanting into my container)

My favorite garden color combo...I tucked in some blue violas in with my existing flat leaf and curly parsley in my raised beds. It provided a great splash of color in my flowerless late winter garden.

No comments: