Chipotle Split Pea Soup with Barley for Crockpot
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
Makes 5 big servings
I love my crockpot in the winter. Especially now that I have school on Saturdays. My work week starts on Sunday, so traditionally I cook several meals for my week on Saturdays. By using my crockpot I can throw together ingredients in the morning before I leave for school and come home to a delicious smelling house and dinner ready for my work week. This version of split pea soup is spiced up with chipotle peppers and given more substance by whole grain earthy barley. Perfect to come home to on a cold winter day.
Miss Jolie Ann
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 stalks celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup dried split peas
1 box vegetable broth
1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
sea salt and pepper to taste
1/2 uncooked pearl barley
1. Place olive oil in a skillet and bring to medium heat.
2. Saute onion over medium heat for about 10 minutes until soft and starting to brown.
3. Add garlic, celery and carrots and saute for 5 minutes more.
4. Add split peas, sauteed veggies, broth, chipotle and thyme into crockpot.
5. Set crockpot on high and cover. Cook for approximately 6 hours until peas are soft.
6. Add barley and stir. Cover and let cook 1 hour or until barley is soft but not mushy and overcooked.
7. Add salt and black pepper to taste.