Original Recipe by Miss Jolie Ann
I like to serve this one over long grain brown basmti rice. This recipe fills that craving for potatoes while still being healthy and the Indian spices are fragrant and amazing. I've also adapted this one for the crockpot, let me know if you are interested and I'd be happy to pass the details to you. Enjoy!
Miss Jolie Ann
Indian Curry with Potatoes, Garbanzo's & Green Peas
Yields about 6 servings
5 tbsp salted butter
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp hot curry powder
1 tsp whole mustard seeds
6 medium yukon gold potatoes, chopped with skins on
1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
About 2-3 cups water
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1. Heat the butter in a stockpot over medium heat
2. Once the butter is melted add the spices and cook for about 5 minutes until bubbling and toasty. Enjoy the delicious fragrance that is released.
3. Add the potatoes and continue to cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. The potatoes will just start to brown.
4. Add the garbanzo beans and about 2-3 cups water. You want just enough water to cover the potatoes and garbanzo's.
5. Put on a lid and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer at about medium heat. Let cook for about 30 minutes. Occasionally stir to make sure the potatoes are not sticking.
6. Check the texture after 30 minutes, you want the potatoes to be nice and soft and becoming somewhat mushy.
7. Add the green peas and the yogurt. Let cook for about 5 more minutes just until everything is warmed up and combined. You want the peas to remain a nice bright green color and not overcooked.
8. Check the flavor. Add salt to taste and adjust the spices to your liking.
9. Serve warm over long grain brown basmati rice.