Original Recipe by Miss Jolie Ann
This recipe is oh so delicious, quick & easy and inexpensive. It's also totally vegan without the optional toppings. So it's an all around winner! When I used to live in the Mission District I became so totally addicted to really good fresh corn tortillas. I could live off of corn tortillas sauteed in butter. Oh my God. But, I digress. For this recipe I love using the Trader Joe's brand "high protein" tofu. It has a great texture and taste. It goes above & beyond most extra firm type tofu in holding up it's shape in recipes. Enjoy!
Miss Jolie Ann
Tofu Skillet with Corn Tortillas & Salsa
Yields about 4 servings
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
12 oz package corn tortillas
1 tsp dried cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried ground chipotle chili pepper
1 package trader joe's brand high protein tofu or other extra firm tofu
16 oz container salsa of your choice
sea salt and black pepper
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Cut the corn tortillas in half down the middle. Then slice into ribbons about 1" wide. Set aside.
2. Rinse and drain the tofu. Chop the tofu into small cubes about 1/2". Set aside.
3. In a skillet warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the tortilla ribbons and stir to coat with oil.
4. Add the cumin, oregano and chipotle to the tortillas. Stir to combine the spices.
5. Saute the tortillas over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes until the are soft and crispy around the edges.
6. Add the tofu and the salsa to the tortillas. Cook for about another 5 minutes until everything is warmed together.
7. Remove from heat and add salt & black pepper to your taste. Top with chopped cilantro. Serve warm.
8. Optional toppings could be some grated cheddar cheese or a dollop of sour cream.