Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Thursday, April 8, 2010

A New Tiny Herb Garden for Miss Jolie

Dear Readers,

I am currently typing with dirt under my fingernails and that feels really really good. As you know I moved out of my house and garden in December. Today I realized I have not gardened since last October. And, that is just way too long for this dirt loving plant nerd earth mama. Tragic, I'd say. This morning I was feeling quite discouraged about my knee injury and I knew that getting my hands in some soil was just what I needed to feed my soul.

Behind my new apartment is a small brick lined raised bed, just laying empty. It is not in the most optimal spot as it is situated on the west side of my apartment getting shade from my apartment to the east and a large established Doug Fir tree to the south. I had been pondering over what to do with this tiny area for months. Should I try to plant some vegetables more tolerant of shade like lettuce and salad greens, perhaps a cutting flower garden, some strawberries? I finally settled on an herb garden. I can't live without herbs. For many years I had my own large garden bursting with every culinary herb imaginable. I was not in the habit of purchasing herbs when I went grocery shopping. As I was cooking, I would just walk into my garden and snip what I needed for that meal. I am ready for that again.

With my injured knee, the thought of gardening appeared a challenge. However, I knew it's what I needed today. And, there was a break in the rain. So I propped myself up on a milk crate so that I was not bending or bearing any weight on my injured knee. It was an interesting way to garden that I'm not accustomed to, but it worked for this tiny garden. I weeded, added my custom vegan fertilizer blend, and added a bag of compost. I installed a trellis up against the wall of my garden shed, which will serve as support to the 3 types of peas I planted. Since I'm getting such a late start planting peas, in addition to seeds, I planted a couple of plants acquired from my friend Laura's nursery "Mostly Medicinals." I'm excited for these yellow podded purple flowered peas that are heirloom seeds from India. And thank you to Peggy for sharing her leftover pea seeds. It's just not Spring without peas!

I started my tiny herb garden with a few culinary basics: rosemary, oregano, parsley, sage, cilantro, chives and lavender. When the weather warms up I will add basil, tarragon, lemon verbena, and shiso. I'm also thinking I can't live without thyme, yerba buena, winter and summer savory, mint, lemon balm, chamomile, fennel, sweet bay, marjoram...did I mention I love herbs?

In Health,
Miss Jolie Ann

No comments: