Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Friday, February 29, 2008

Inspiration for Winter Salad Making


Don't we all love salads during the summer and autumn when we are blessed with an abundance of fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, lettuces, corn?? Yes, summer seems to be the season of salads. However, I eat a salad nearly every day year round. And I am not talking about a salad in December with tomatoes and cucumbers. Since I began eating more in harmony with the seasons I only get to enjoy these hot weather produce treats when they are actually grown in the ground by my local farmers or from my own garden. The benefits of a raw vegetable salad are many-they are overflowing with fiber and vitamins and minerals in their natural form. So eating a somewhat seasonal salad throughout the winter can be challenging. First of all I try to grow a lot of my own salad greens, which I have success with from March-November. During the December, January and February months I rely on hardier greens from the grocery store like kale, cabbage, swiss chard, spinach, etc. These are the items I'm currently eating in my winter salad. I hope they inspire you to munch a raw salad every day!
In Health,
Miss Jolie Ann


Kale

Purple Cabbage

Kohlrabi

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Carrots

Grated Raw Parsnip

Grated Raw Beets

Radishes

Canned Beans: Garbanzo, Kidney & Black-Eyed Peas

Nuts: Cashews, Walnuts & Pecans

Seeds: Sunflower & Pumpkin

Cheese-grated or cubed: Cheddar, Parmesan, Swiss

No comments: