Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Broccoli Quiche

Broccoli Quiche
Original Recipe by Miss Jolie Ann

Quiche is good. There's something so yummy and satisfying about it. You can eat it for dinner, lunch or brunch. I make a veggie quiche for every season. Spring & Fall: broccoli or spinach; Summer: tomato or summer squash; Winter: mushroom. They are all delicious and relatively quick & simple when I use frozen pie crust. Yes, sometimes I feel like making homemade pie crust from scratch. Which really isn't that difficult except I don't own a mixer or food processor so sometimes I want things to just be quicker. So I stock up on frozen pie crusts from Trader Joe's. They only carry them during the winter holiday season so you have to get them then. Come late January you are out of luck. I buy several and they freeze well. That being said, with pre-made pie crust you can focus on whipping up the quiche fillings. While the quiche bakes you can make a salad and clean up your dishes. Voila! Beautiful quiche in under an hour. This week I used broccoli, swiss cheese and fresh marjoram because that's what I had. Once you have mastered the simple formula of crust, cheese, filling & custard (which I learned from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest) I encourage you to experiment to your heart's content. Enjoy!

In Health,
Miss Jolie Ann

Broccoli Quiche
6 Servings
Pre-made or Home-made Pie Crust
1 cup grated organic swiss cheese
1 large organic broccoli crown
1/2 of an organic lemon
4 organic brown eggs
1 cup organic unsweetened soymilk
Fresh organic marjoram, chopped about 1 tsp
Sea salt & black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Wash the broccoli crown and chop it into small pieces.
3. Place a small amount of water in the bottom of a sauce pan and insert metal steamer basket. Bring water to boil over high heat. Add the broccoli and lightly steam for approximately 3 minutes. I like my broccoli to be bright green and still firm. Remove broccoli, still in the steamer basket, from the heat and plunge in cold water to stop it from cooking. Place drained broccoli in a large bowl. Squeeze lemon half over broccoli and set aside.
4. In another bowl place eggs and soymilk and beat with a metal whisk until fluffy. Add broccoli and marjoram and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place cheese in the prepared pie crust. Pour egg broccoli mixture over cheese.
6. Bake for approximately 40 minutes.

No comments: