Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Caprese Salad


I am a connoisseur of tomatoes. I could live on tomatoes. This Summer I grew 6 varieties of tomatoes in my small space: Oregon Star, Oregon Spring, Green Zebra, Taxi, Sungold and Yellow Pear. Sungold was by far my favorite tomato for stupendous taste. Sungolds rarely made it into the house as I happily snacked (gorged myself!) on them while watering the garden. Oregon Star won for not only the size of the slicers which had good flavor, but also the production & yield was mind-blowing! Once tomatoes ripen, Caprese Salad is a staple for me Summer through Fall. It's so simple and captures the quintessential Summer garden flavors in one juicy perfect bite. There's really not even a real recipe for this salad. Honestly, it's perfection is it's simplicity. Garden fresh tomatoes & basil, fresh mozzarella, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper. My friend Katy P puts Caprese Salad on toasted french bread and calls this "Summer Food." I call it "finger licking good!" It's the best. Enjoy it now before Summer & her gorgeous tomatoes slip away until next year!


Full of Tomato Love,
Miss Jolie Ann

Caprese Salad

1. Pick fresh tomatoes from your garden or the farmer's market.
2. Wash & slice them
3. Arrange slices of fresh mozzarella on a plate
4. Add tomato slices
5. Drizzle with a splash of olive oil & balsamic vinegar
6. Sprinkle with salt & pepper
7. Add as many sliced basil leaves as you desire. I recommend a handful
8. EAT and BE HAPPY




No comments: