Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Blueberry Lavender Cornbread Muffins Revisited

Fans of Muffins,

This recipe originally posted in June 2008 on my blog. I figured it was time to revisit it. Plus I got some great photos this morning. My Mary aka "Big Fruit" absolutely loves these muffins. I should be a good friend and bake them for her more often. She got some this morning. Joy.


It's not blueberry season yet so please use frozen ones until we are blessed with fresh blueberries once again in June. Don't waste your money on buying out of season produce from another country. It's going to be poor quality, lacking in nutrients and you are supporting an "on-demand" produce industry that is leaving a huge footprint on our environment. Local seasonal food is way more gratifying and tasty. *Stepping down from my soapbox now.* Since I downsized out of my house and moved into an apartment, my friend Katy is babysitting my blueberry plants until I have space for them again. I saw them today and they have so many new buds! It's going to be a great blueberry season for my plants. If you don't grow your own blueberries--you should! They are very easy to grow and do great here in Portland. Stop by the nursery and chat with me about growing them if you are interested. I love talking small fruit, it is in fact my nickname at the nursery. "Small Fruit" at your service! Here's a link to some helpful basics about growing blueberries.

This recipe has dried lavender. I love everything about lavender. It is a gorgeous ornamental plant and once established in it's first season it never needs supplemental watering again in Portland. I use it for countless medicinal purposes, in my skin care products, as an herbal tea, for aromatherapy, and as a culinary flavor. The lavender I used today is from a big harvest I did in my friends Anne & Megan's garden last Summer. Kept out of sunlight in an airtight jar it still smells great! Check out this link to helpful information on growing your own lavandula.

If you haven't cooked with lavender then get started because it's awesome.

In Health & Love,
Miss Jolie Ann




1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup powde
red sugar
1 tsp dried lavender (crush blossoms, whole ones can be overpowering!)
5 tbsp butter (or canola oil for less dairy)
2 tbsp organic honey
2 organic large brown eggs
1 tsp organic non-alcohol pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup nonfat greek style yogurt
zest of 1 fresh lemon, about 1 tbsp
1 cup fresh (if in season) or frozen blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a muffin tin.
2. In a large bowl sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and powdered sugar. Stir until well mixed. Add the lavender and stir.
3. Melt the butter and honey together. Combine in another bowl with the eggs, vanilla, yogurt, and lemon zest. Beat until well mixed.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir until just combined. Do not over mix. Add the blueberries and stir until combined.
5. Pour about 1/2 cup batter into each muffin pan. I like bigger muffins so this recipe makes 8 muffins for me.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Let cool on counter and remove from pan.


1 comment:

Peggy said...

I am definitely going to try these - cornmeal, blueberries, lavender, three of my favorite things!