Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Curry Egg Salad

I love a good egg salad. And, this is the season for eggs with Spring Equinox and Easter holidays. Did you know that eggs and bunnies are potent feminine fertility symbols hiding behind all the commerical peeps candies and easter baskets? Easter eggs find their origin as a symbol of the ancient Goddess Astarte. There's your spirituality lesson, now on to egg salad...

Make no mistake, the quality of the eggs makes all the difference in this recipe. Use eggs from your own chickens, your friend's flock, the farmer's market, or your CSA. And just a note for all you animal luvas out there...just because the egg carton says it's organic does not mean those little chicken babies were treated humanely. So please investigate what various labeling on eggs means: white vs brown, organic, free-range, hormone-free, etc, because I'm not going into it here. Enough said.

This egg salad recipe would be fabulous on warm sourdough bread hot out of the oven. Mmm, if only I was eating gluten. These days I eat my egg-salad gluten-free style with corn tortilla chips or on a rice cake. I also like my egg salad fresh and warm. I don't like it if it's been refrigerated. Though, this egg salad will keep in your fridge for about 2 days before it begins to get watery. As with most of my recipes, texture is important and my egg salad is chunky full-o-bits-o-goodness. The recipe makes enough for 2 smaller servings or one big meal if you love your eggs! Enjoy! And, as always, please drop me a comment.

In Health,
Miss Jolie Ann

Curry Egg Salad Recipe
Serves 2

4 eggs
1/4 cup mayonaise
sea salt & black pepper
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp smoke paprika
1 tbsp chopped kalamata olives (that's about 4 whole olives)
1 celery stalk, minced
1 tsp minced red onion
1 tsp minced cilantro

1. Place the eggs gently in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low boil and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat. Drain the water. Fill pot with cold water and let sit for 5 minutes. Peel the eggs and place in a large bowl.
2. In a large bowl use pastry cutter (my favorite method) or fork to mash the eggs. You want the eggs to be finely chopped, but not turn to mashed mush.
3. Add the mayonaise and stir. Add the coriander, curry, and paprika. Add a pinch of salt & pepper to your taste. I don't even salt this recipe because of the existing sodium content in the mayonaise. Stir until the spices are well mixed.
4. Add the olives, celery, onion & cilantro. Stir until everything is combined.
5. Serve on bread or bagels for a sandwich. Or on a bed of greens for a salad. Or go the dip-ish route with tortilla chips or crackers.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

trying this one for sure - warm egg salad is one of my favorites, for some reason never thought of curry with it - blind spot, there!

Jolie Ann Donohue said...

Enjoy the recipe! And let me know what you think Peggy. p.s. We now have the option of our co-worker bringing us fresh eggs weekly from her large flock. I signed up for every other week. So excited! :) Jolie