Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Friday, March 19, 2010

Quinoa-Wild Rice Salad

Dear Readers,
I served this salad at my Spring Equinox dinner party and I can't believe I didn't take a photo of it. You will have to use your imagination. As you know, I'm all about the quinoa so I'm constantly creating new variations for one of my favorite ingredients. An alternate name for my blog could be "My Ode to Quinoa." This salad can be served room temperature or chilled. It is sweet and tangy with raisins and notes of balsamic vinegar in the dressing. And the balsamic is a good thing because my friend John, who was a dinner party guest, is basically obsessed with the balsamic. And he loved the raisin-balsamic combo. Katy suggested more wild rice so we're increasing that from the original salad and toasting up the almonds instead of raw. And Gina suggested slivered almonds, instead of sliced, for added texture. I don't typically like raisins in my food, other than oatmeal for breakfast. However, I was willing to give it a shot. There was an overwhelming "yes! yes! yes!" to the raisins in this salad. Well, all right then. The raisins can stay. Thanks for all the feedback my adorable recipe guinea pigs! If you would like to be one of my guinea pigs, try my recipes at your home and send me some feedback. You can say you "knew Miss Jolie Ann when." Even when I become the vegetarian "Barefoot Contessa" I won't forget my roots. I crack myself up.

In Love with Quinoa,
Miss Jolie Ann

1 cups quinoa
2 cups water
1 cups wild rice
4 cups water
4 carrots, shredded
1 cup shredded purple cabbage
1 small purple onion, minced
1 cup raisins
1 cup toasted slivered almonds

Dressing:
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp raspberry preserves (100% fruit, no added sugar)
1/4 tsp prepared dijon mustard
4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

1. Add the quinoa and 2 cups water in a covered saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with fork and set aside.
2. In a mesh strainer rinse the wild rice very well. Add rinsed wild rice and 4 cups of water to a covered saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer covered for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Add the quinoa and the wild rice in a large mixing bowl. Add the carrots, cabbage, onion, raisins, and almonds. Stir until combined.
4. In another bowl add the garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, raspberry preserves, salt and black pepper. Whisk together until well combined.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until everything is mixed. Let dressing marinate the salad for at least 1 hour before serving. Chill overnight or serve room temperature after it's "marinated." Garnish with extra toasted almonds.

No comments: