Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Asparagus Carrot Stir Fry with Cashews

Dear Readers,

Have I mentioned asparagus season? Ha! It's just beginning. Today I made a simple stir-fry of asparagus and carrots that totally hits the spot. For the best flavor possible use young spring carrots for this recipe. I'm not talking about your bland storage carrots typically seen in the grocery store. If you don't grow your own, then choose the thinnest, tops-still-on, bright crisp carrots you can find. The same goes for the asparagus. Choose pencil thin stalks. Do not buy fat asparagus. It's not worth it.

Once you've cut the veggies this recipe takes about 5 minutes to cook. So, we're talking a satisfying healthy meal in about 15 minutes. You can't beat that. That's all I have, because I really want to go eat this now. Enjoy!

In Health,
Miss Jolie Ann











Asparagus-Carrot Stir Fry with Cashews

1 bunch thin asparagus, tough ends removed and stalks slice in half
1 bunch young carrots, sliced thinly on the diagonal
1 tbsp canola oil
about 1 tbsp wheat-free reduced-sodium tamari
fresh ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup toasted lightly salted cashews

1. Clean & chop the asparagus, carrots and garlic and you are halfway there.
2. Warm the canola oil over medium-high heat in a skillet.
3. Add the asparagus, carrots, splash of tamari, pinch of black pepper to the pan. Stir-fry over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. You want the veggies to be somewhat soft, but still bright colors and slightly crunchy.
4. Add the garlic and the cashews. Cook for about 2 minutes more. Do not overcook!
5. Serve hot over brown rice, soba noodles, with tofu or just by it's beautiful delectable self.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

yum, sounds delicious - on my short list of things to try! tempted to try a few drops of sesame oil and garnish with sesame seeds, for some reason.

kati said...

I made this for dinner the other night... with a few changes because it's what I had on hand and we are on a budget. I used soy sauce instead of Tamari and baby carrotts from a bag. I double the garlic because I am obsessed with garlic... it was so yummy. I will be making it again for sure. Thanks for the ideas Jolie, you are the best.

Jolie Ann Donohue said...

Kati,
I love the garlic too! And, clearly so does baby Eloise. I'm glad to hear she is loving her fresh veggies too.

Love, Jolie