Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Barley Cannellini Bean Salad

Dear Readers,

In making today's salad I tried to break out of my quinoa groove. Right? I use a lot of quinoa. This you know! The crunchy texture and nutty flavor of the barley is a nice change. The softness of the Canellini beans make a perfect match with the barley. You may have also noticed that I frequently include sundried tomatoes in my salads. As a seasonal eater, I can indulge my love of fresh tomatoes July-October. Which means, the remaining 4 months of the year sundried tomatoes have to take care of my tomato cravings. I just love their chewy texture and flavor of the red-tinted olive oil they've soaked in. Since today's salad has Italian flavors with oregano and basil, sundried tomatoes were a good fit. Even if they weren't a good fit, I'd still find a way to use them. This salad is substantial as a main dish with it's protein and whole grains. It's vegan and great that way. If you are missing your dairy a nice compliment would be some fresh buffalo mozzarella torn on the top. Serve this salad cold or at room temperature. It was great served with the Root Vegetable and Roasted Winter Squash Soup recipe for a well-rounded dinner. Enjoy! And, as always, please send me some comments and let me know what you think. I love to hear from you and appreciate your support.

In Health,
Miss Jolie Ann









Barley Cannellini Bean Salad
Makes 6 servings

1 cup uncooked dry barley, rinsed
2 cups water
1 cup julienned sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil
15 oz can Cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
sea salt & black pepper to taste
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp fresh minced basil leaves
1 tsp fresh minced oregano leaves
1/2 of 14 oz can artichoke hearts packed in water, drained
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cups mixed baby spinach and arugula, torn into small pieces

1. Place the barley and water in a pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 20 minutes. Do not overcook the barley, you want it to be cooked yet firm and holding it's shape. Drain any excess water. Set aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl combine all the remaining ingredients with the exception of the spinach & arugula. Stir well until combined. Add the barley and stir. Add the baby spinach & arugula just prior to serving. Can be served cold or at room temperature.

No comments: