Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Monday, October 5, 2015

Decadent Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Good morning gardening friends,

Zucchini season is coming to an end as the cold Autumn weather takes hold. I imagine we have a couple more weeks to harvest zucchini. Are you sick of it yet? This week I harvested three large zucchinis. With the cooler weather I am baking and using the oven again which is a welcome autumn treat! On this week's menu is zucchini lasagne, zucchini risotto, zucchini cornbread, and minestrone soup.

However, my crowning glory of most delicious zucchini dishes was yesterday's chocolate zucchini bread. Its moist, crumbly, rich, slightly sweet texture was more like cake than quick bread. I cannot rave enough about just how delicious this chocolate zucchini bread is!! That's right, double exclamation point. This chocolate zucchini bread is so moist it will bring a tear to your eye.



Not only did I used up a lot of zucchini, I got to dust off my kitchenmaid stand mixer and use it for the first time since spring. Autumn begins the baking season for me and my husband couldn't be happier. Yesterday he came home from a 2 day trip, walked into the house, smelled and saw the warm zucchini bread and started salivating. He said to me "I didn't know you had any cake mix." Fool, when have I ever made a cake from mix! I am a from scratch baker.

This recipe is so simple and super fresh taste you would never get from a box of cake or quick bread mix. I hope you will try this amazing chocolate zucchini bread recipe I just made up yesterday. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy!



CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD BY JOLIE

2 cups all purpose white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup apple juice
2 cups grated zucchini

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Use a sifter to combine first seven ingredients. Mix in large bowl and set aside.
3. Use stand mixer or hand mixer to beat together butter and sugar. Add eggs and continue mixing. Add vanilla extract and apple juice. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Combine dry and wet mixtures. Mix well for a few minutes.
5. Stop mixing. Stir in zucchini until well incorporated.
6. Grease a loaf pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan.
8. Bake uncovered for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes--until a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Let cool before removing from pan.

No comments: